May 2019 Mixtape
It’s May! Spring is here in the northern hemisphere. The new website design is here. And there’s a new mixtape for you to listen to!
Since the website has been down for the last couple of months, we’ve had to take a break from the podcast. But now that the new design is up, we’ve decided to put together a new hour-long mix to celebrate Spring.
The mix starts with some sunny-weather West African beats from the likes of Orlando Julius and De Frank Professionals before becoming more focused on House. The idea was to start the mixtape with horns and rhythms which slowly turn into synths and deep house beats. So while we start out with a big band feel — by the end of the mix you’ll be surrounded by a more electronic interpretation of Spring.
There’s some Nachtbraker in the mix…. Azealia Banks…. a Mark Maxwell remix… some Anderson Paak. There’s a fantastic Elliot Adamson remix of “Weak Become Heroes” by The Streets (it’s a pretty old remix now, but still worth a listen). There’s one of my favourite singles from the Kaffe Creme EP; the track is called “Kapo Choc,” and it’s a banger. There’s even two Format:B tracks back to back (don’t judge).
We’ve also lifted a short section of Olof Dreijer’s Resident Advisor mix which is absolutely sick. If you haven’t heard the full mix, you should head over to Resident Advisor and give it a listen. It’s like a 127 bpm party mix the whole way through.
The mix ends with a track from one of my favorite pair of electronic producers right now, Dark Sky. To be honest, I took a lot of inspiration from Dark Sky when putting this mix together. Their taste in music and the way they curate all types of “weird and the wonderful” tracks has been great to follow in the last couple of years. You should check out their monthly show on NTS if you haven’t already.
For now, enjoy the return of The New LoFi monthly mixtape.
TNLF 2019 May Mixtape Playlist
- De Frank Professionals – Afe Ato Yen Bio
- Disco Hi-Life – Orlando Julius
- Twit One – Daftari Hili
- Oscar Sulley & The Uhuru Dance Band – Bukom Mashie (JKriv_edit)
- Nachtbraker – Hamdi
- Purple Disco Machine – Street Life
- Kenny Mann & Liquid Pleasure Band – Tin Top (Mark Maxwell remix)
- Kaffe Crème – Kapo Choc
- Blackgate – Meeting Dr Crenshaw (feat Anderson Paak)
- Format:B – Not Enuff
- Format:B – The Scoop
- The Knife – Got 2 Let U ( Shaken-Up Version)
- Azealia Banks – Anna Wintour (Olof Dreijer overdrive edit)
- rRoxymore / Oni Ayhun / Aquarian Jugs / Jaguar Woman – DR1-1 [NM004]
- Citizenn – Tied (Adesse Versions remix
- The Streets – Weak Become Heroes (Elliot Adamson spin)
- Dark Sky – Acacia